Slow expireover (again)

Mike Zanker mike-sender-6677e0 at zanker.org
Sun May 23 07:07:15 UTC 2004

On 22 May 2004 23:51 -0700 Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hm.  Is the amount of free swap you have in your system dropping
> slowly over time by any chance?

No, it stays pretty constant.

> If you run truss on the running expireover process (with truss -p),
> you should see a ton of stats intermixed with writes.  Is anything
> looking particularly slow, or does the output stop scrolling at any
> particular points and then start again?

The output wasn't stopping at all - just scrolling by fairly quickly.
It was speeding up and down a little but still going too fast to see
properly.

I was looking back through some old news.daily reports from when I had
a similar number of articles but about half the number of news groups
(20,000 as opposed to 41,000 now) and expireover was completing within
the hour.

Also, expireover seemed to complete quicker when I was using timecaf as
opposed to timehash. Does that make sense, though, because I thought
that expireover only looked at the overview database and the history
files, not the article spool?

Thanks,

Mike.