Slow expireover (again)

Mike Zanker mike-sender-6677e0 at zanker.org
Sun May 23 08:03:21 UTC 2004

On 23 May 2004 00:46 -0700 Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

> I know you said this previously, but I don't remember now... is the
> slowdown related to an upgrade to a newer version of INN (and if so,
> from what to what?) or did it just happen all of a sudden?

This particular box has only ever has 2.4.1 on it. Initially it was a
feeder+reader with tradspool. Pretty soon expireover and expire times
started going downhill so I changed to timecaf which seemed to help.

I then moved reading to another box (linux on a P2 400) which didn't
suffer the same long expireover and expire times. The Ultra 10 became
feeder-only (no overview) using CNFS and performance was good (with
expires taking about a minute).

I then moved feeding to a new P4 with 1GB RAM and U320 SCSI disks
(which rocks) and changed the Ultra 10 to a reader using timehash
(because timehash had worked well on the linux box). This is when
expireover times really started increasing, especially when I started
carrying a full text-only feed (about 41,000 groups).

> I'll look at doing the above, but I'm guessing it's not going to be
> enough to really resolve the problem.  I'd be curious to see a trace
> while it's doing a group with articles in it.

Thanks for looking into this - I'm sure expireover will still be
running first thing tomorrow so I'll try and get a more interesting
trace.

Thanks,

Mike.