Charset for newsgroups file

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Fri Nov 5 13:26:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 09:40:09 -0800 Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Another solution would be introducing an NNTP command that returns
> > the encoding.
>
> We could do this fairly easily, but it really doesn't deal with all of
> the underlying issues.  [...]

Actually, I wasn't thinking when I wrote what I wrote:  A better
solution would be a command that sets the encoding that the news server
should use when sending data to the client.  The default would be
Latin1.  But ...

> There aren't any good solutions to this, only painful ones, but moving to
> UTF-8 as the standard character set is what every other IETF protocol is
> doing other than the ones that are staying pure 7-bit ASCII.

... the problem is indeed that, AFAICS, newsservers sending non ASCII
characters are violating RFC 977.  So, people like me have a hard time
arguing that the introduction of UTF-8 will break existing non-compliant
setups.

Felix