Moving newsgroups with posts

Praveen Ramaswamy praveen1 at india.hp.com
Fri Nov 12 06:27:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am trying to move news groups and posts from INN 2.2 on HPUX to Redhat EN
3.0. INN 2.4. I have INN up and working fine on redhat, I could even move
newsgroup, however I could not move posts which are already there is
respective newsgroup.

I am using CNFS storage method on both servers. I copied directories from
/usr/local/spool/articles to new redhat server and executed following
command:

makedbz -i
        mv history.n.dir history.dir
        mv history.n.hash history.hash
        mv history.n.index history.index
        chmod 644 *

While running this, it throws a message "invalid message id". I thought
copying articles directory should help. But one question I am unable to
answer:

Even on my old server: Storage method is set to CNFS, hence it stores posts
in a buffer directory specified in cycbuff.conf. But how is it storing posts
in /usr/local/news/spool/articles ? Should I copy the buffers directory
instead ?

Regards
Praveen R