Moving newsgroups with posts

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Nov 22 00:51:55 UTC 2004

On Nov 20, 2004, at 5:10 PM, Divya Sundaram wrote:

> I don't know what all you have to do to clean your server spool
> of old articles.

The important thing is that, in addition to removing the articles
themselves, the history database has to be reset before trying to send
old articles again.

You can either set /remember/ to 0 and wait until tomorrow (after
news.daily runs), or you can delete db/history* and recreate the
various history files following the directions in INSTALL.

> If you use CNFS only, I am not sure that artcutoff has much impact.

Actually, artcutoff is applied to incoming articles before they are
stored, and therefore applies to all storage methods.

> Someone please correct me if I am mistaken. Regardless, set artcutoff
> to a large number to indicate how old of an article you want to keep.

This is not what artcutoff does at all.

Setting artcutoff only affects newly-arrived articles (if a peer tries
to send you an article older than artcutoff, it will be rejected).
Articles remain in the spool until expire.ctl dictates they go (or CNFS
buffers roll over) regardless of how artcutoff is set.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org