ckpasswd in readers.conf

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 1 05:20:48 UTC 2004

Forrest Aldrich <forrie at forrie.com> writes:

> I've been toiling with this per the documentation and am a little stuck
> in how to get id/pwd authentication working correctly.

Are you still having trouble with this?  I looked over the readers.conf
file that you included, and I couldn't see any obvious problems with it.

If you're still having trouble, what are the symptoms?  Are people denied
access completely (as in, the server immediately closes the connection),
or do they just not see any newsgroups?

> auth "remote-ips" {
>         hosts: "x.x.x.0/24"
>         auth: "ckpasswd -f /usr/local/news/etc/passwd.local"
>         default: "<FAIL>"
>         default-domain: "domain.net"
> }

> access "remote-ips" {
>         users: "*@domain.net"
>         newsgroups: "*, !control, !junk"
>         nnrpdauthsender: true
> }

> auth "local-ips" {
>         hosts:  "192.168.64.0/24"
>         auth: "ckpasswd -f /usr/local/news/etc/passwd.local"
>         default: "<FAIL>"
>         default-domain: "domain.net"
> }

> access local-ips {
>         users: "*@domain.net"
>         newsgroups: "*, !control, !junk"
>         nnrpdauthsender: true
> }

> access fail {
>         users: "<FAIL>@*"
>         newsgroups: !*
> }

> The problem is that it doesn't authenticate via the normal
> procedure/means.  If I remove this authentication and add "access:  RP"
> it will work.

Could you be more specific about exactly what changes you make that cause
it to start working?