filter_innd.pl question

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 12 20:48:20 UTC 2004

Chris Masters <rotis23 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Having fun with installing INN and writing filter_innd.pl.

> One issue though. Upon certain conditions I want to:

> - block the post

> - create a new post and post to localhost using
> Net::NNTP.

You may find it easier to just drop the new post in ~news/spool/incoming
and make sure you're running rnews -U from cron to pick up posts dropped
off in there.  Particularly if it's not critical that the post go through
immediately.

You won't be able to connect to innd from inside a filter running in innd,
since innd is not multithreaded.  I don't think there's any way that you
can interrupt innd to push another post through while processing a first
post, I'm afraid.  (nnrpd would normally wait for the filter to complete
before passing along a post made through it.)