INN 2.4.2 testing release
rra at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 14 01:59:07 UTC 2004
I'm not going to get a full release out before my vacation, but I did roll
a new testing release that includes the fix for GROUP status returns.
Here is the draft announcement. I can do a release after I get back, or
if Katsuhiro feels like pushing out the release before then, I think
everything is there for it.
From: Russ Allbery <rra at isc.org>
Organization: Internet Systems Consortium
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] INN 2.4.2 available
To: inn-announce at isc.org
The Internet Systems Consortium is pleased to announce a new bug fix
release of INN is available at:
The MD5 checksum of this release is:
A PGP signature will be available in the same directory shortly. There is
a patch from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2 available there as well.
This is a bug-fix release over 2.4.1. Upgrading an existing INN 2.4.1
installation is as simple as building INN 2.4.2, running make update, and
restarting innd and related programs.
Changes from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2:
* INN is now licensed under a less restrictive license (about as
minimally restrictive as possible shy of public domain), and the
clause similar to the old BSD advertising clause has been dropped.
* make install and make update now always install the newly built
binaries, rather than only installing them if the modification times
are newer. This is the behavior that people expect. make install now
also automatically builds a new (empty) history database if one
doesn't already exist.
* The embedded Tcl filter code has been disabled (and will be removed
entirely in the next major release of INN). It hasn't worked for some
time and causes innd crashes if compiled in (even if not used). If
someone wants to step forward and maintain it, I recommend starting
from scratch and emulating the Perl and Python filters.
* ctlinnd should now successfully handle messages from INN up to the
maximum allowable packet size in the protocol, fixing problems sites
with many active peers were having with innstat output.
* Overview generation has been fixed in both makehistory and innd to
follow the rules in the latest NNTP draft rather than just replacing
special characters with spaces. This means that the unfolding of
folded header lines will not introduce additional, incorrect
whitespace in the overview data.
* nnrpd now uniformly responds with a 480 or 502 status code to attempts
to read a newsgroup to which the user does not have access, depending
on whether the user has authenticated. Previously, it returned a 411
status code, claiming the group didn't exist, which confuses the
reactive authentication capability of news readers.
* If a user is not authorized to approve articles (using the A access
control in readers.conf), articles that include Approved headers will
be rejected even if posted to unmoderated groups. Some other site may
consider that group to be moderated.
* The configuration parser used for readers.conf and others now
correctly handles "#" inside quoted strings and is more robust against
unmatched double quotes.
* Messages mailed to moderators had two spaces after the colons in the
headers, rather than one. This bug has been fixed.
* A bug that could cause heap corruption and random crashes in innd if
INN were compiled with Python support has been fixed.
* Some problems with innd's tracking of article size and enforcement of
the configured maximum article size have been fixed.
* pgpverify will now correctly verify signatures generated by GnuPG and
better supports GnuPG as the PGP implementation.
* INN's code should now be more 64-bit clean in its handling of size_t,
pointer differences, and casting of pointers, correcting problems that
showed up on 64-bit platforms like AMD64.
* Improved the error reporting in the history database code, in inews,
in controlchan, and in expire.
* Many other, more minor bugs have also been fixed.
Please submit all bug reports to inn-bugs at isc.org. Please send all
patches to inn-patches at isc.org.
inn at isc.org
More information about the inn-workers