not seeing articles in news reader?

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Sep 19 04:46:35 UTC 2004

On Sep 18, 2004, at 4:44 PM, Jason wrote:

> the old server works fine and returns the article, the new server
> returns
> 423 Bad article number
>
> How can I fix this? that article is DEFFINATELY in the spool directory
> with the correct
> permissions. It looks like like the corresponding article on the old
> server.
> Searching google it looks like i need to rebuild the overview? does
> this sound right?

Probably there were errors in the log when you ran makehistory, if you
still have those logs around.

But anyway, start by running grephistory on the Message-ID of the
missing article (be sure to include the angle brackets and use single
quotes to keep the shell from interpreting <, $, and > as special
characters).

If you're using tradindexed for overview, check the appropriate .DAT
file in $pathoverview to see if there is a line for the missing
article.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org