inn2.4.1, expire running > 2 days on a feeder

"Miquel van Smoorenburg" list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Thu Sep 23 12:19:10 UTC 2004

In article <Pine.LNX.4.61.0409230256180.11485 at potato.cts.ucla.edu>,
Chris Stromsoe  <cbs at cts.ucla.edu> wrote:
>Starting about a week ago, expire started running for several days at a
>time.  It used to run for 6 or 7 hours.  At some point, history crossed
>the 2gb boundary.  That may or may not have anything to do with it.  inn
>was built with --enable-largefiles.  The machine is running debian
>"testing" linux.
>
>spool is cnfs, and overview is disabled.  news is stored in 3 x 10Gb
>buffers, 1 x 40Gb buffer, and 1 x 5Gb buffer, on a single jfs partition
>built from a 4 disk scsi raid5 with no spare.  ~news/db/ is on the same
>partition.
>
>expire was killing performance, so I killed it.  Any ideas about what to
>look for to figure out what's wrong?

You probably need more memory. I/O from incoming/outgoing feeds
is throwing away the existing cached history file, etc.

On my system I simply throttle INN before expire and start it
after expire. news.daily actually has some support for this though
you have to read and grok the script to be able to use it.

If you set the MESSAGE environment variable, the script will
throttle innd before expire. You need to pass -n as well. So,
my crontab looks like:

MESSAGE="Temporarily throttled for expire"
40      0   * * *   news.daily lowmark norenumber delayrm flags=-n
MESSAGE=""

(Note that in the crontab config file you don't need to explicitly
 export environment variables, it's not a shell script).

I used to have expire times of 7-10 hours. Now:

expire begin Thu Sep 23 00:49:20 CEST 2004: (-n -z/news/log/expire.rm)
expire end Thu Sep 23 00:54:33 CEST 2004
        all done Thu Sep 23 00:54:33 CEST 2004

Just over 5 minutes! :)

Mike.
--
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes
 a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell.

Reply to the list or to "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels at cistron.nl>