Convert feeder-only to feeder+reader

Christoph Biedl cbiedl at gmx.de
Mon Sep 27 10:24:15 UTC 2004

Mike Zanker wrote...

> I need to add reading capability to a feeder-only box (running 2.4.1).
> The box currently has overview and reading disabled and is using CNFS.
>
> I presume that this is simply a case of enabling overview and reading
> (and modifying the daily expire to include overview).

Perhaps you should also run 'makehistory -O'

> I'd also like to start with a new active file because the current one
> has become very untidy with many unwanted groups. Can I do this without
> affecting the history database or article spool?

You have: throttle ; rmgroup (several times) ; go
or mod-active to do bulk changes on your active file.

By the way I'd like to refine that question into:
In theory one could throttle, edit db/active (i.e. remove lines,
carefully add lines, sort the file) and do a reload active afterwards.
After that, groups are deleted and created accordingly.
Is this safe? I recall vague warnings about that, especially when
removing groups but this might date back to 2.2 times or certain storage
methods only.

    Christoph