Trying to do authentication with htpasswd file

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Apr 1 00:41:05 UTC 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Lisa Ungar wrote:

> At first the news reader client (Mozilla 1.7  on AIX) just displays a
> blank screen with no newsgroups.  It didn't prompt me to login when I
> requested newsgroups.

This has to do with your readers.conf, but one problem at a time.

> Mar 31 14:17:59 w3forums1b nnrpd[28624]: techstudy.watson.ibm.com
> bad_hook
> program caught signal 15

That's something sending SIGTERM to the ckpasswd...odd...wait, I should
recognize this problem, I think.

Oh!  Sometimes nnrpd kills the authenticator inappropriately when
there's some trouble with read() not getting at least a full line at a
time.  Russ, this came up in a thread called "PATCH: radius: bad_hook
program caught signal 15" in March 2004, and you were looking at a
solution.  But I was just looking at that code a week or two ago due to
somebody else's post (I forget which now) and I think the same problem
still exists.

Lisa, the above paragraph wasn't meant for you.  Can you check, using
ckpasswd (with the same -f option you have in your reanders.conf) and
the -u / -p flags, the same username and password that you had your
Mozilla send causing the above error?  I'm curious what it will return.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org