access with authentication

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Mon Apr 4 17:20:33 UTC 2005

Jeffrey M.Vinocur wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2005, at 4:36 PM, Bill Tangren wrote:
>

>>auth inside {
>>           auth: "ckpasswd -u my -p mypassword"
>>}
>

> I continue to be intrigued by all of your examples.  I don't know what
> to make of this last one; I've never thought of using ckpasswd -u/-p
> from inside readers.conf before!
>
> I'm still hopeful that if you run tests from a shell prompt with
> `ckpasswd -u my -p mypassword` (with and without -s, I suppose), you'll
> get an error that we can make some sense of.

I su'ed to news then did this:

-sh-3.00$ /news/bin/auth/passwd/ckpasswd -s -u bjt -p realpassword
ckpasswd: invalid password for user bjt
-sh-3.00$

Naturally I used the actual password. On the next line, I did:

-sh-3.00$ su - bjt

I entered the same password, and it worked.

Then, without the -s

-sh-3.00$ /news/bin/auth/passwd/ckpasswd -u bjt -p cli0thie
ckpasswd: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure
-sh-3.00$

Bill Tangren

p.s. Jeffery, sorry about posting back channel. I keep forgetting that I
can't just hit the reply button for this list. The Reply-To feature was
never set to inn-workers.