access with authentication

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Apr 5 01:10:49 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 1:28 PM, Bill Tangren wrote:

> I tried the same thing logged in as root, and it worked.
>
> [root at summer2 etc]#/news/bin/auth/passwd/ckpasswd -s -u bjt -p
> realpassword
>
> User:bjt

Right, that was going to be my next suggestion :-)

(No worries about the Reply-To mixup, btw.)

> -r-xr-xr-x  1 news news 48061 Dec  8 10:09
> /news/bin/auth/passwd/ckpasswd

Right.  As documented in the ckpasswd manpage under the -s flag, you
may very well need to give ckpasswd special permissions for it to be
able to access the shadow password file.

If your system does indeed have PAM, that might be the better way to go.

Hmm...there's no documentation in the distribution of how to actually
use PAM with ckpasswd.  I forget who incorporated Graeme's
modifications into the main tree, but if the usage is the same, I can
dig up the config procedure and document it...

Anybody remember the story with this?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org