Bug? in OVadd ??

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 11 07:22:54 UTC 2005

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> I'm struggling with a very odd problem in v2.4.1 that might be a bug in
> the design of OVadd.

> My apologies if this has been fixed already ... ... I will be trying to
> work with "current" shortly

I'm afraid this one is going to be the same in CURRENT.

> I have a clean installation of v2.4.1 on (ruby), tradindexed that is
> running as an Xrefslave with it's only one feed (news01) - the system we
> are migrating off off

> I'm guessing
> The overview errors appear to be because:

>    - I have a limited set of news groups in the active file
>    - I am accepting everything sent (a much larger list of groups)

Right.

Basically, INN doesn't support the configuration that you're attempting
right now.  You cannot carry a partial feed and use Xref slaving.  If you
turn on Xref slaving, you have to carry exactly the same list of groups as
the server from which you're slaving.

This is going to be a problem when feeding old news spools that contain
messages crossposted to groups that no longer exist.  It definitely needs
to be fixed.

The problem is that, right now, the structure of innd and the overview API
make it very difficult to handle this in any other way without ignoring
other serious errors.  I'm working on a rewrite of the overview API that
should make it possible to fix this, but it's not likely to be fixed
before that work is complete.

In the interim, the only workaround that I can think of is to try to craft
a wildmat for ovgrouppat that matches only the groups you carry.  Setting
a pattern in incoming.conf won't help, since crossposted articles will
still mess you up.