Bug in building, using auth_krb5

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 11 07:39:15 UTC 2005

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> Then from a distclean code base I configured with

>      --with-kerberos=/l/tool/kerberos5/1.4/001.01

> The configure failed to find -lkrb5
> which was right there in  /l/tool/kerberos5/1.4/001.01/lib
> and there for it did not build auth_krb5

> Close examination of the configure file and config.log
> shows that -lkrb5 is being searched for in the default library paths
> and not in provided kerberos5 path.

There was a bug in configure that caused it to put the -L option before
-lkrb5 instead of after it.  This has now been fixed in CVS.

> HOWEVER, the compile now fails, because the compile of auth_krb5
> does not include the /l/tool/kerberos5/1.4/001.01/include directory.

Yeah, the Makefile was fixed in CURRENT but not in STABLE.  Now fixed in
CVS.

> HOWEVER, the auth_krb5 binary won't run when manually tested because it
> can't find the kerberos .so libraries.  (ldd is helpful here) This can
> be addresses by setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Ack, no, you almost never want to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  See:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/rpath.html>

for many other, better ways of solving this problem.