BUG: in expire in v2.4.2-STABLE-20050315

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 11 18:12:12 UTC 2005

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> In v2.4.2-STABLE-20050315 the man page  expire.ctl(5) says

>      The <flag> field can be used to further limit newsgroups to
>      which the line applies, and should be chosen from the
>      following set:

>          M   Only moderated groups
>          U   Only unmoderated groups
>          A   All groups
>          X   Remove the article from all groups it appears in

> Yet when I put this in my expire.ctl  (on line 46)

>     *warez*:X:1:1:1

> I get the following error from news.daily
>     Line 46 bad modflag
>     Format error in expire.ctl

> and expire does not run

It's a misleading documentation problem.  X isn't a flag to use by itself;
it should be used in conjunction with some other flag, like:

    *warez*:AX:1:1:1

I'll fix the documentation.  Note that the patterns in expire.ctl match
newsgroups that are being expired, not the contents of the Newsgroups
header of articles, so that line will have no affect unless you carry
newsgroups matching the pattern "*warez*".