overview full

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Apr 19 23:44:50 UTC 2005

On Apr 19, 2005, at 10:25 AM, Paul Reilly wrote:

> news> inndf -o
> 100% overview space used
>
> I can't add more buffers due to no disk space.
> Is there a way to clear the buffers without having
> to re-create them?

Well, what you're seeing is perhaps better thought of, not as
insufficient space for overview, but as an imbalance between number of
articles you have and the number of overview entries you can fit.  Thus
your problem is a combination of (1) space available for overview, (2)
the number of articles you have, and (3) the average size of an
article.  If your server has large articles, you need less overview
space; if your server has small articles, you need more overview space.

So clearing the overview buffers would temporarily fix the problem, but
it would also make a bunch of articles all but useless to readers.  And
besides, the problem is likely to recur in the future, because as soon
as the same number of articles arrive, you'll need the same number of
overview entries.  (I'd say clearing buffindexed is only likely to be
useful if you have reason to believe that your spool is -temporarily-
full of small articles, but you expect large articles to predominate
again soon.)

The long term solution to your problem must affect one of the three
things above.  It sounds like you can't change #1.  You can change #2,
though.  If you're using tradspool or similar, modify your expire.ctl
to expire articles faster (you won't have as many total articles, but
those extra articles wouldn't do you any good if you wiped their
overview entries anyway).  If you're using CNFS, shrink the size of
your CNFS buffers (same thing goes for the extra articles).  As for #3,
you probably can't change the average size of article arriving on your
server, but you -can- change the average size of article on disk at any
moment (for example, by using storage.conf to put small articles into a
CNFS buffer that rolls over more quickly).  Of course, you may not find
this change a net improvement.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org