nnrpd -S processes not timing out

Raf Tordil raf at purdue.edu
Wed Apr 27 21:16:43 UTC 2005

Greetings,

On our INN 2.4.1 server, we allow user authentication via port 563 and SSL.
I have xinetd configured to start the nnrpd -S process for the connections on
563.  I've been finding a number of idle nnrpd processes started by xinetd
that never go away.  I can duplicate this behavior by using telnet to connect
to port 563 on the news server and then letting it sit there.  The short
clienttimeout of 10 seconds does not break the connection, nor does the 60
minute timeout I have set.  An strace on these processes shows that it is in a
read state on a socket.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior and/or have a fix for it?  For now, I've
set up a shell script running out of cron that does a search and destroy on
these processes.

Thanks,
Raf

----
Raf Tordil
Office Technology Systems Engineer
Purdue University - ITaP - IT Infrastructure
E-mail:raf at purdue.edu