strange behavior with articles numbers after a rebuild of the overview using 2.3.3

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Feb 10 02:35:36 UTC 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Christoph Biedl wrote:

>> Yes, I am interested in preserving the spool and would like the
>> instructions.
>
> Two approaches. The first should be easier to understand but takes more
> hardware and probably also more time. I did both serveral times and
> prefer the latter. [...]

Wait, aren't we making this needlessly complicated?

Upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4 on the same machine is straightforward,
simply compile 2.4 using the same ./configure flags, stop INN, run
`make update` (note, NOT `make install`), and start INN.

In this case, don't start the new INN immediately; run makehistory
first.  It will use the old spool and build overview using the new
improved code.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org