innd install problems

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Feb 11 01:41:56 UTC 2005

On Feb 10, 2005, at 5:06 PM, Steven Jones wrote:

> [root at giant news]# rpm -q inn
>
> inn-2.3.5-5

This version is very out of date, FYI.  Unfortunately Redhat is very
slow about updating their RPMs.

> [root at giant news]# service innd status
> innd dead but subsys locked

Mmm isn't that a fun error.  It's been a long while since I had it,
though; I think a lot of the cases that caused it have been fixed.

> [root at giant news]# /usr/lib/news/bin/inncheck
>
> /etc/news/expire.ctl:23: malformed line.
> /etc/news/expire.ctl:30: malformed line.
>
> Lines 23 and 30 are the /remember/:10 lines, checking man expire.ctl
> shows the syntax is OK.

Well, there shouldn't be multiple /remember/ lines in the expire.ctl,
but I don't think that's your problem.  (inncheck has a lot of false
positives.)

> Feb  3 09:00:25 giant innd: SERVER cant dbzinit /var/lib/news/history
> Numerical argument out of domain

Ok, now -this- is probably your real problem.  That looks like the
history.dir, history.idx, and history.hash files (which are used for
speedy access to the history file itself) are corrupted.  You can
rebuild them with makedbz, it should take only a few seconds and not
have any adverse effects.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org