INN hangs posts with attachment

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Jan 4 18:08:01 UTC 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 10:26 AM, Praveen Ramaswamy wrote:

> I just observed that there is no problem with Netscape 4.78. Even with
> attachment of 1 mb it is faster, but with outlook express 6 it takes
> minuets
> together and with Netscape 7, Netscape 7 just hangs. INND process will
> not
> hang it keeps running. What can be wrong?

I'm confused now about what the problem is exactly.  INN should treat
all clients equally.

> By the way I am still learning to use gdb and I don't use cleanfeed
> (Checked
> by typing: rpm -qa | grep cleanfeed ). I have complied and installed
> INN
> rather than through RPM.

Well, Cleanfeed never shows up as a separate RPM, but don't worry about
that.  If you compiled INN yourself, you would know if you had
Cleanfeed (it's a Perl filter).

To use gdb for this purpose, first use `ps` to find out the PID of the
process that is hanging, say 123.  (Initially you said it was innd, but
now it sounds like perhaps nnrpd is where you should be looking.)  Then
you run something like:

     gdb ~news/bin/nnrpd 123

(or whatever the path to the binary in question is on your system),
that puts you at the interactive prompt for gdb.  Then type "backtrace"
and hit enter.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org