Strange memory leak

Andrew MacLennan apm at connect.com.au
Wed Jan 19 04:04:08 UTC 2005

> The memory leak itself was fixed in... RAID Manager 6?  7?  Something like
> that.  I don't remember the exact level.  I think we did both a software
> and a firmware upgrade.  I seem to recall that it still would persist even
> if you used disk files rather than raw devices; the reason for switching
> to disk files even with the upgrade is that the upgraded version restricts
> mmap of raw devices to root.

Just thought I'd give an update on this as it seems we've got a working
system now after mounting the A1000 drives as regular file systems and
using file-based cycbuffers.  Memory use is now stable and the dreaded
kernel leak has not returned.

Incidentally, I can now get Cleanfeed working properly, whereas
previously it would bring the system to a grinding halt within 10
minutes of enabling filtering.

Thanks for the help Russ!

Regards,
Andrew