storage.conf: Using "flag" as a storage key

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 6 04:37:42 UTC 2005

Christoph Biedl <cbiedl at gmx.de> writes:

> I want to play with the 'dontrejectfiltered' option in inn.conf on a
> transit server.

> One thing I miss after a first check of the manpages: I'd like to store
> these "flagged" articles (i.e. rejected by cleanfeed but _not_ dropped,
> is there a better word for this?) in a separate buffer. This buffer may
> be rather small, e.g. rotate in 24 hours. That's enough time to retrieve
> the article in case I'd like to know why cleanfeed didn't like it but it
> wouldn't consume to much disk space/history/etc. Otherwise "Binary in
> non-binary group" articles would have an impact on the retenition time
> of regular articles.

> Is it possible to use this flag as a storage criteria? A very short
> glance into the sources suggests this should be not too difficult.

It's not currently possible to do this.  It's certainly something that
would be desirable to add, although I'm not sure the best general way to
do it.  I'd really eventually like to have a more generalized tagging
engine that would allow the filtering logic to apply any of a variety of
tags to articles, and then use that tag information in both newsfeeds and
the storage subsystem, but that's a larger project.

I probably won't get a chance to work on anything like this until after
the storage API is redesigned.  If you come up with something in the
meantime, I'd be inclined to accept it since it's likely that the config
files and the like will need to go through an upgrade process anyway and
we can fiddle with the way it's specified then.