post: with out read: fails

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 7 05:04:24 UTC 2005

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> In inn-STABLE-20050315 the following in readers.conf

> access "gateway" {
>     key: "elist02_gateway"
>     post: "*"
> }

> causes inews to fail in posting with the following error

>    No such newsgroups as "cornell.tco.test". (Article not posted.)

> This is unexpected.

> The posting does work fine if the access block is changed to read

> The posting program is inews from the 2.2.2 distribution ... running on
> a nearby solaris box.

> Further I'd note that in the v2.2 line, all that was needed in the
> nnrp.access file for posting was an 'P' ... an 'R' was not needed.  Our
> emaillist -> news gateway with inews for many years with just a P

> QUESTION:  Is this a bug?  or an expected behaviour?

> QUESTION:  If this behaviour is by design, in which document would I
> find mention of it?

This is by design.  Well, the effect on old inews isn't by design, but the
reason why inews doesn't think the newsgroup exists is by design.

If the client doesn't have read access to a newsgroup, that newsgroup is
now hidden from LIST as well as not being selectable by GROUP so that the
client doesn't even see that it exists.  inews in INN prior to 2.3 checks
to make sure that all of the newsgroups to which an article is posted are
valid, and therefore expects to find them in LIST.  This check was removed
in 2.3 and later versions, since really it's not inews's job to do this;
nnrpd is just going to do the same work again.