Restoring watermark?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 8 19:21:48 UTC 2005

Joern Bredereck <jb at bw-networx.net> writes:

> During the Debian upgrade vom Woody to Sarge, INN was being upgraded from
> 2.3.x to 2.4.x.

> The upgrade itself was fine, but the expire cron job this morning messed
> up my local news archives. :-(

> It seems that the lowwatermarks of my local archive newsgroups have been
> modified. The article files are still intact (I'm using tradspool):

> bastian:/var/backups/news# ls -l /var/spool/news/rme-audio/forum/ | wc -l
> 50554

> 200 bastian.bw-networx.net InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.3 (20050407
> prerelease) ready (posting ok).
> group rme-audio.forum
> 211 40 51414 51453 rme-audio.forum

> But the watermark points to 51414 which leaves 40 articles available
> in that archive. :-(

> Question: How can I reset the watermark, so that all ~50000 articles are
> available again?

tdx-util -R.  See the man page for the right flags and arguments.

> And how can I prevent expire to mess up the watermarks again?

It shouldn't have done this -- the only thing I can think of is that maybe
those articles aren't present in your overview database.  tdx-util will
put them back into your overview database, so hopefully that will address
the problem.  If they are removed again, maybe that means they're also not
in history?

> Expire messages:
> expireover start Wed Jun  8 04:15:25 CEST 2005: (
> -z/var/log/news/expire.rm
> -Z/var/log/news/expire.lowmark)
>      Article lines processed    51933
>      Articles dropped               0
>      Overview index dropped         0
> expireover end Wed Jun  8 04:53:19 CEST 2005

So nothing was expired out of overview that night.