Alternative to perl_access and python_access?

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sat Jun 11 18:35:51 UTC 2005

On Jun 11, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Felix E. Klee wrote:

> At Sat, 11 Jun 2005 02:11:03 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>> You can also run an external authenticator.
>
> That's what I'm already doing.  I was asking, though, for possibilities
> of running an external program which specifies news group access
> permission.  Unfortunately, it seems that one is bound to perl_access
> of
> python_access.

To clarify, are you saying that the web interface needs to have access
to different newsgroups depending on who is authenticating?  And that
there are many many different combinations of groups available?

If so, then yeah, nobody has added this to the external auth mechanism
yet.

Perhaps you could have a long-running process started separately from
INN, that maintains the persistent database connection, and
communicates with the embedded perl hooks?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org