Bug in authprogs/domain and doc/external-auth

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 9 01:55:52 UTC 2005

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> We do have test cases for domain.c; unfortunately /bin/sh is removing
> the whitespace before comparing for correct output.  Russ, do you think
> this is worth fiddling some workaround into domain.t for?

Yeah, it might be.  We could save the output to a file, for instance, and
then compare files, which wouldn't lose whitespace issues.  Since we keep
having whitespace issues around the authenticator protocol, that would
probably be a good thing.

> Hmm.  I agree with your analysis of the current behavior.  However, I
> wonder if the documentation is correct, and the code should be modified
> so that, if no username is returned, the default: in readers.conf is
> used.  (I haven't looked at the code, but I imagine that would be
> straightforward.)

What you say sounds right to me.  (Or go on to the next authenticator, of
course.)

>> Further, it goes on to say that the line should be exactly
>>
>>      user:username\r
>>
>> but testing shows that the line only works if the last char is \n
>> so this should either read
>>
>>      user:username\r\n
>> or
>>      user:username\n

> Yeah, my reading of the code backs up your observation; looks like
> nnrpd generates \r\n but will accept \n alone as valid.

> Throughout what became doc/external-auth, Aidan's original documentation
> used \r, and while it looked odd, I never got around to investigating
> convincingly enough to change it.  Russ, I'm not completely crazy about
> this, am I?

No, I think you're right and it should be CRLF or LF.