News.daily takes 8 hours

"Miquel van Smoorenburg" list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Thu Mar 10 20:58:39 UTC 2005

In article <42303B98.6070609 at bah.homeip.net>,
Bernt Hansson  <bernt at bah.homeip.net> wrote:
>Hello
>
>What suggestions may you have if news.daily takes around 8 hours to
>complete?

Well, I have this in my crontab for news.daily:

MESSAGE="Temporarily throttled for expire"
40      1   * * *   news.daily lowmark norenumber delayrm flags=-n
MESSAGE=""

This throttles innd during the expire, which helps on lowering the
expire time from 8 hours to 3 minutes.

This is on a busy transit server (no overview though) that does
lots and lots of disk i/o and really wants to keep history.index
and history.hash in RAM. Running expire pushes the box a few
hundred MB into swap which slowes it to a crawl, so throttling
innd during expire helps *a lot*

Mike.

Reply to the list or to "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels at cistron.nl>