readers.conf: problem with secure connection

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Mar 17 22:43:17 UTC 2005

On Mar 17, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Bill Tangren wrote:

> It sounds like the identd is the problem, because I commented out the
> ckpasswd line, and it still timed out. identd is not running, so I
> downloaded it and installed it.

Whoa, time out here.  I think you're taking enormous leaps at a time
and thereby making this much harder than it should be.

Do you -want- identd?  My understand of the configuration you're
looking for is:

(1) anyone inside the firewall can connect without password
(2) anyone outside the firewall must authenticate against the system
passwd file

If so, you don't need identd.

The only thing you'd need identd for to be able to use, in (1), users'
account names (not just incoming IP addresses) for fine-grained access
control or logging.  That only works if identd is installed on the user
workstations, or if all users are logging into the news server itself
and running unix newsreaders (in which case identd on the server is
sufficient).

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org