More details, should I be using PAM instead for authentication?

Lisa Ungar lungar at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 31 20:14:25 UTC 2005

Hi,
I found out the following:

config.h:/* #undef HAVE_PAM_PAM_APPL_H */
config.h:/* Define if you have PAM. */
config.h:#define HAVE_PAM 1

It appears that PAM is present on the machine.

Should I replace my auth statement with

auth: "ckpasswd -s"

In the following stanza:

> auth "forumslogin" {
>    hosts: "techstudy.watson.ibm.com"
>    auth:  "/usr/local/news/bin/auth/passwd/ckpasswd -f
> /usr/local/news/w3appusers"
>    default: "<FAIL>"
> }

I do see a pam.d directory.

According to what I read, I would need to add a nnrpd file there

For example

#%PAM-1.0
auth       requisite    /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny
file
/etc/news/reader.deny onerr=succeed
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so

There is no password listed in the /etc/passwd file, but there is a passwd
file inside the pam.d directory

Thanks,

Lisa