move articles to another server

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Wed Oct 26 17:51:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <20051025235209.GB21974 at shuttle.vanvergehaald.nl>,
> Toon van der Pas  <toon at hout.vanvergehaald.nl> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:02:56PM +0000, "Miquel van Smoorenburg"  wrote:

>>> First you should create a valid active file with all the
>>> newsgroups you want to carry - that should not be a problem,
>>> I guess.
>>>
>>> Then you can follow the advice in the FAQ, but instead of using
>>> the perl and innxmit stuff, just use 'rnews < articlefile' for
>>> each article to post it locally.
>>
>> Miquel, what is the great advantage of this approach over restoring
>> the article spool and running makehistory? Running rnews on every
>> article will take forever, won't it?
>
> I don't know, I just offered an alternative to the method in the
> FAQ, which assumes you have a running server with valid spool
> *and* an existing history file, both of which the OP didn't have.
>
> There's one more issue, I don't think that makehistory rebuilds
> the active file, or does it ?

no it does not.  But neither does rnews.  The largest problem remains
rebuilding the active file. History and overview can easily be
rebuilt from the spool backup.

If I were in the situation I would build a new active file for the
hierarchies I carry from official checkgroups and other sources and
then run makehistory and ctlinnd renumber.

Greetings
Christian

Christian Kratzer                       ck at cksoft.de
CK Software GmbH                        http://www.cksoft.de/
Phone: +49 7452 889 135                 Fax: +49 7452 889 136