problem with mailpost and inews

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Fri Sep 2 13:36:38 UTC 2005

Jeffrey M.Vinocur wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2005, at 4:26 PM, Bill Tangren wrote:
>

>>auth inside {
>>         hosts: "localhost, *.usno.navy.mil, usno.navy.mil, 10.1.5."
>>         default: "<AADEPT>"
>>}
>>
>>access ALL {
>>         newsgroups: *,!junk,!control,!control.*,!usno.aa.test
>>}
>>
>>The hosts line is the problem. Right now, anyone in the listed domains
>>can post to the newsgroups using a newsgroup *client*, but mailpost
>>won't work. If I change hosts to
>>
>>hosts: "*"
>>
>>then mailpost works, but then anyone can post to these groups, which is
>>unacceptable.
>

> I'm not sure why changing that line to * fixes things, but I wonder if
> your actual problem is a missing entry in incoming.conf.

This is what is in incoming.conf (the same on both servers):

streaming:              true   # streaming allowed by default
max-connections:        8      # per feed

peer ME {
   hostname:         "localhost, 127.0.0.1"
}

> (Also, that "10.1.5." in the hosts line probably should be "10.1.5.*",
> FYI.)

Well I'll be ... This fixed it. I tried

hosts:	"localhost"

and it didn't work, but adding this asterisk fixed it?

Well, at this point I don't care why it works, only that it does.

Thank you for your help.

Bill Tangren