long term reporting

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 19 21:51:19 UTC 2005

Mike Alberghini <ma195 at mail.gatech.edu> writes:

> I've just been put in charge of a pair of news servers running INN and
> tasked with gathering long term statistics on them.

> I've been running innreport, but it's a daily report.  Does anyone know
> of a solution for compiling the data from months/years worth of
> innreports into a larger report?

innreport does do a very small amount of this automatically (only total
volume, as I recall).  Unfortunately, innreport isn't as flexible as I'd
like in many respects (this being one of them), even though it's
impressively flexible.  I started a rework of it that would make this
easier at one point but never had time to finish it.

All I really have to offer are recommendations, one of which being that
rrdtool is probably exactly what you want for long-term trend statistics
and that I'd write something to dump daily data into rrdtool and then use
it to generate the graphs.