Problems starting inn

Iain Conochie iain at uk.colt.net
Mon Sep 26 14:17:05 UTC 2005

Afternoon people,

     I am having an issue starting inn. I see this in the news.crit
error log

Sep 26 14:55:12 pop-news innd: [ID 801587 news.crit] SERVER can't close
history /data/news/db/history: File too large

After some net searching it seems that the history file is a list of all
news articles the server has dealt with, and is used for spotting
looping messages (among other things). Will it be OK for be to blow this
file away and start the server i.e.

cat /dev/null > /data/news/db/history

  Or will inn then _really_ start to complain? Is there any way of
limiting how long the history file is kept for?

Cheers

Iain

--
Iain Conochie UNIX System Administrator UK
COLT Telecom
Email: iain.conochie at colt.net
www.colt.net