readers.conf problems

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Aug 8 17:58:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Bernt Hansson wrote:

> I'm having problems with readers.conf, where it seems that ckpasswd does
> not read the password file. My readers conf is below.

You don't say what symptom you're concerned about, so it's a little hard
to know what you're actually expecting vs what you observe.

My guess, though, is that here:

> auth "authusers" {
>          hosts: "*"
>          auth: "ckpasswd -f /path/to/password/file"
>          default: "<authusers>"
> }
>
> access "authusers" {
>          users: "<authusers>"
>          newsgroups: "*,!*.bin*,!junk,!control*"
>          access: RP
> }

you are probably expecting that authenticated users will end up in that
access group.  However, you need to understand that "default" only assigns
an identity if nothing else in the auth block does.  Since ckpasswd (if
successful) always assigns an identity, your authenticated users will not
be matched by the authusers access group.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org