Detailled innfeed logging?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sat Jan 28 14:53:50 UTC 2006

* Bill Davidsen:

> If you want to do it "right" you want a status of accepted, rejected,
> refused, pushed back, dropped, etc, for every article offered to every
> peer... I have the feeling that in many cases the logs would need more
> space than the articles and the overhead of formatting would be
> significant. The places where it would be useful might be large sites
> with a hundred or more peers and a bunch of internal machines. Lot of data.

In such cases, I use UDP-based data export.  The service which exports
the data doesn't really care if the data is received properly, but in
almost all cases, you can obtain the data you are interested in.
Great for debugging and to get a general picture.

Adding such functionality to any server software is typically
straightforward, and on the receiving end, you use a short Perl script
or something like that.