Understanding the logging concept

Christoph Biedl cbiedl at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Wed Jul 12 13:00:07 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the concept of the way innd and other programs
are emitting log messages (all in CURRENT).

On the one hand programs do call the openlog() and syslog() functions
provided by the system library. On the other hand there's a complex set
of configurable functions in lib/messages.c (via message_handlers_*). And
finally I find programs that do both, like nnrpd/nnrpd.c:

|    openlog(message_program_name, L_OPENLOG_FLAGS | LOG_PID, LOG_INN_PROG);
|    message_handlers_die(1, message_log_syslog_crit);
|    message_handlers_warn(1, message_log_syslog_warning);
|    message_handlers_notice(1, message_log_syslog_notice);

What's the idea? Are there plans to move _all_ the logging from immediate
syscall to notice/warn/die provided by lib/messages.c and CURRENT is just
in the middle of transistion? Or are there two logging concepts by
intention?

    Christoph