Understanding the logging concept

Christoph Biedl cbiedl at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Sat Jul 15 14:24:11 UTC 2006

Russ Allbery wrote...

> Christoph Biedl <cbiedl at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE> writes:
>
> > What's the idea? Are there plans to move _all_ the logging from
> > immediate syscall to notice/warn/die provided by lib/messages.c and
> > CURRENT is just in the middle of transistion?
>
> Yes.

Ah, that explains a lot.

Is there anything that blocks the procedure? As far as I can see it
basically a huge search&replace operation.

As I'm planning a different logging system that optionally avoids syslog,
the usuals handlers appear misnamed. Would you mind to rename them from
message_log_syslog_* something like "log as defined by inn.conf" e.g.
message_log_default_*?

> Note that you still have to call openlog when using the message.c
> functions if you're using a message handler that logs to syslog.

That should be moved into message.c since the actual program doesn't
need to know how the messages are actually logged.

    Christoph