Zombie processes ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Thu Mar 9 01:15:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Marc G Fournier <scrappy at hub.org> writes:
>
>> Two questions ... first, what is the [11498] in the log file:
>
>> Mar  8 20:43:03 news nnrpd[11498]: SERVER perl filtering enabled
>
>> I would have thought it was PID, but if I do a grep for, say, 3277 in
>> the log file, it doesn't return anything:
>
> It is the PID.
>
>> %grep 3277 /var/log/news/news.notice
>> %
>
> Could that nnrpd be so old that it's in the previous day's news.notice?

'k, you are correct, which brought forward another issue, in that my cron
was running news.daily 4 hours earlier then I was expecting ... *that* was
due to my changing localtime a little while ago without restarting the
vServer ... so, I've restarted the vServer, and will keep an eye on it now
and see if it cause the problem again ...

> The relevant code is PROCreap in innd/proc.c.  You might want to add
> some sort of logging to that function to see if (a) it ever gets called
> and (b) if it does, what it thinks it's doing when it does get called.

'k, will monitor and look into this next ... thanks ...

----