Build workflow (was Re: INN commit: trunk (5 files))

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Mar 20 02:29:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, 20 Mar 2006, INN Commit wrote:

>     Date: Sunday, March 19, 2006 @ 17:35:25
>   Author: eagle
> Revision: 7499
>
> Probe for -Wno-extra and only include it in the Perl compiler flags if
> the compiler supports it.  This lets CURRENT build with gcc < 3.3 again
> (and with non-gcc compilers; I really wasn't thinking through that
> change).

Great, that fixed it.

I did have to rerun ./autogen to keep it from doing this:

    gcc -g -O2 -I../include  -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
    -I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i686-linux/CORE @PERL_WARNINGS@  -c perl.c

and in this case it was pretty obvious that something needed to be
updated.  However, the fact that I had to pick this up manually means
there's an implicit dependency somewhere in the build process...and that
some subtler change could slip by without me realizing to ./autogen.

Is it feasible to make these dependencies explicit?  I imagine it's a bit
hairy to have `make` lead to the makefile being rebuilt, but perhaps just
have it die with a detailed message?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org