Validate history file contents.

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue May 2 22:44:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Christiaan den Besten wrote:

> Hi !
>
> It is not the storage I am having issue's with .. it's the size of our
> history file. The server is running out of nmap'able memory during an
> expire. For the moment we will at least put more RAM in the box, but to
> me this seems to be a short term solution.

This does appear to be a problem with expire. We can run our target user
load nicely with only 2GB RAM, but expire takes double that and is
dog-slow even then. By stopping innd and nnrpd the expire can be run in
reasonable time, but for sites with only one server that's probably not an
option.

I would like to try the O_DIRECT option on the underlying open used for
the mmap, but it seems to be abstracted to the point of needing more
time than I have right now to find the right place to add the flag and
not mess up other things.