makehistory / architecture change

Paul Walker paul at black-sun.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 23:27:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 07:24:23PM -0400, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:

> Well, we always recommend feeding articles across if possible rather than
> trying to rebuild from the spool, 'cause it's a pain.  But if all of this
> is happening on a single machine, there's not much you can do about that.

It was the same machine, unfortunately. At least I remembered to back up the
active file this time, even if the history doesn't do me much good. ;-)

> How big is your spool?  Keep in mind that makehistory has to scan every
> single article you have to do the rebuild, so it can easily take way

The spool is only about 3000 articles, nothing particularly big. If you'd
expect that many articles to take that long, I'll restart it, but it seems
excessive...

> (Incidentally, you probably don't want -I, and I'm not sure why you'd want
> to use -l to decrease batches to smaller than the default, unless you're
> really stuck for memory/tmp space.)

The "-I" was in the sample command in the man pages, so it got copied. 3000
was because I misread 10000 as 1000. Mea culpa. :-)

Thanks for the reply,

--
Paul