makehistory / architecture change

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 11 22:26:50 UTC 2006

Paul Walker <paul at black-sun.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Okay. The problem seems to be somewhere in the tradindex
> code. index_find (tdx-group.c) gets caught in an infinite loop - loc
> cycles 0,4,110,0,4,110 etc. The count is 719, so it never exits.

> Unfortunately, both tdx-util and makehistory fall into this same trap,
> so I'm not sure how to rebuild a consistent tradindex without those
> tools. Any offers...?

If makehistory is getting stuck in a loop when you're trying to rebuild
overview from scratch, I'm guessing that you may have missed this bit in
the makehistory man page:

    WARNING: If youre trying to rebuild the overview database, be sure to
    stop innd(8) and delete or zero out the existing database before you
    start for the best results.  An overview rebuild should not be done
    while the server is running.  Unless the existing overview is deleted,
    you may end up with problems like out-of-order overview entries,
    excessively large overview buffers, and the like.