enhance checkgroups handling

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Aug 15 21:54:11 UTC 2007

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:

>>> True.  Maybe it's time to take that step.
>>>

>> You better have some good documentation for moderators on that, because
>> there are a number of them using ill-suited Windows software who don't
>> know PGP from pig latin.
>>

> Moderators shouldn't care about the policy for hierarchies.

Commercial sites tend to carry more small hierarchies, perhaps, and the
hierarchy control rests with one of the moderators of a group, or
perhaps some other clueless user. The point is that if you want people
to use PGP someone has to document that for the lowest common denominator.

This isn't just an INN problem, but it should be addressed before trying
to change the way admins do things. Usenet isn't run by savvy folks at
workstations using command line tools and more, one of the reasons I
left SBC. It must cope with clueless admins and brain-dead management.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc