POD documentation

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 18 17:24:04 UTC 2007

Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 04:38:37PM +0200, Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> [...]
>> * is there a preferred use between (for instance) "B<ctlinnd>" and
>> "ctlinnd(8)" in the middle of a sentence?

> What's wrong with L<ctlinnd> to explicitly indicate it's a man page to the
> POD reader, instead of leaving it to guess?

Because that doesn't include the section (which is required to create a
valid link) and doesn't tell POD that it's a link to a man page as opposed
to some other piece of POD documentation.

L<ctlinnd(8)> is fine, but it should be equivalent to ctlinnd(8) (although
that's somewhat controversial, and I don't mind if people want to add the
L<> for clarity).