Using block device as cnfs buffer under FreeBSD.

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Thu Mar 8 08:05:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, newsmaster at alkar.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> FreeBSD 6.2, inn-2.4.3, compiled with large files support.

[cnfs on slice vs. fs]
> Is there any disadvantage using one (or several) big file instead of direct drive device?

considering that you'll most likely not have more than n<8 cnfs
buffers - if you want to go with disks/arrays or slices (and even
if it is n<64) - if you are thinking of optimizing out the fs you
are certainly not going to run INN for your high performance really
big news servers but some self coded really damn fast software;-) /SCNR

Just go with the fs. It will save you lots of trouble and you will not
notice it on modern hardware, one would use for a big, fast news server.
INN and FreeBSD are doing a good job in such configurations...

The only optimization I might go with would be:
you may want to consider newfsing it with only few inodes because you
will not need millions of inodes for n cnfs buffers - if you are going
to use one partition for cnfs buffers only.

The first thing that's usually going to explode will be history
anyway...