High loads...

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 16 18:45:32 UTC 2007

Bjorn Hellqvist <bjhell at telia.net> writes:

> Ok, I'll check that out next week when I have more time on my hands.

> But isnt forking a waste of resources? wouldnt it be better to do
> something like apache does? fork a couple of nnrpd that then can do
> threading? like only have 20 forks and each fork can thread 100
> processes?

Forking is extremely fast on Linux, and not as heavy as people think it is
even on other operating systems.  However, nnrpd does also support running
in that mode if you want.

Remember, nnrpd processes are *much* longer-lived than Apache requests.
Web requests frequently live on the order of seconds, whereas nnrpd
processes frequently live on the order of hours.  Startup overhead for
nnrpd is mostly noise.