Setting up User access

Alexander Bartolich alexander.bartolich at gmx.at
Fri Oct 12 16:59:44 UTC 2007

Gert Koefoed Andersen wrote:
> [...]
> I could like to know how and where I am setting in INN to give users users
> access to read and post news.

This is configured in /etc/news/readers.conf

man readers.conf

The documentation is really confusing. But don't despair.
Basically you have three scenarios:

1. Authentication and access rights based on IP address

2. Authentication through an external program. "ckpasswd" is shipped
   with INN and works on Apache-style password files. All users have
   identical access rights in this scenario.

3. Authentication and access rights configured through a custom
   perl-script (this is what I use).

Ciao

    Alexander.