Optimization for the expireover procedure.

Kirill Berezin kyb at online.ru
Wed Oct 17 07:53:23 UTC 2007

Julien ÉLIE ?????:
> Hi Kirill,
>

>> But in the case of
>> expiry the main keys are time of the arrival and group number.
>
> So expireover will not remove articles which no longer exist in
> the news spool if it is based upon such information.
I am not sure, but may be.
> And articles stored in CNFS buffers will be expired from the overview
> even though there are still available from the spool.
Yes, due to the cyclic reuse of buffer space there is no need to remove
articles from CNFS.

> But well, these behaviours could be tweaked.
>

>> For example we can use a list of pointers to overview
>> records sorted according to arrival date or even expiration date ( this
>> is a little bit tricky). I believe this will be much more faster.
>
> I think that it is not the arrival date which matters but the Date:
> header
> (correct me if I am wrong).
> As for scheduled expiration date, it cannot be determined since
> expire.ctl
> can change after the moment it is computed. And there is also the
> Expires: header to take into account.

You are right, this all are parameters of some expiration policy. And I
believe that policy of changing this policy is extremely conservative,
just like a normal system administrator.